1. Bauman, A., Sallis, J.F., & Owen, N. (2002). Environmental and policy measurement in physical activity research. pp. 241-251 In G.J. Welk (Ed.), Physical Activity Assessments for Health-Related Research. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
2. Frank, L.D., Andresen, M.A., & Schmid, T.L. (2004). Obesity relationships with community design, physical activity, and time spent in cars. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 27, 87-96.
3. Frank, L.D., Schmid, T.L., Sallis, J.F., Chapman, J., & Saelens, B.E. (in press). Linking objectively measured physical activity with objectively measured urban form: Findings from SMARTRAQ. American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
4. Glanz, K., Sallis, J.F., Saelens, B.E., & Frank, L.D. (in press). Healthy nutrition environments: concepts and measures. American Journal of Health Promotion.
5. Saelens, B.E. (2003). Helping individuals reduce sedentary behavior. pp. 217-238. In R.E. Andersen (Ed.), Obesity: Etiology, assessment, treatment, and prevention. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
6. Saelens, B.E., Sallis, J.F., Black, J., & Chen, D. (2003). Neighborhood-based differences in physical activity: An environment scale evaluation. American Journal of Public Health, 93, 1552-1558. Read Paper
7. Saelens, B.E., Sallis, J.F., & Frank, L.D. (2003) Environmental correlates of walking and cycling: Findings from the transportation, urban design, and planning literatures. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 25, 80-91.
8. Sallis, J.F., Conway, T.L., Prochaska, J.J., McKenzie, T.L., Marshall, S.P., & Brown, M. (2001). The association of school environments with youth physical activity. American Journal of Public Health, 91, 618-620.
9. Sallis, J.F., & Owen, N. (2002). Ecological models of health behavior. pp. 462-484. In K. Glanz, B.K. Rimer, and F.M. Lewis (Eds.), Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice, 3rd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
10. Sallis, J.F., & Orleans, C.T. (2004). Ecological models: Application to physical activity. pp. 288-290. In N.B. Anderson (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Health and Behavior, Vol 1. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
11. Brownson, R.C., Chang, J.J., Eyler, A.A., Ainsworth, B.E., Kirtland, K., Saelens, B.E., and Sallis, J.F. (2004). Measuring the environment for friendliness toward physical activity: A comparison of the reliability of 3 questionnaires. American Journal of Public Health, 94, 473-483 Read Paper
12. Ilse De Bourdeaudhuij, James F. Sallis, Brian E. Saelens. Environmental Correlates of Physical Activity in a Sample of Belgian Adults. Am J Health Promot 2003;18:83-92. Read Paper
13. Eva Leslie, Brian Saelens, Lawrence Frank, Neville Owen, Adrian Bauman, Neil Coffee, Graeme Hugo. Residents’ perceptions of walkability attributes in objectively different neighbourhoods: a pilot study Health & Place In press Read Paper
14. Owen, N., Humpel, N., Leslie, E., Bauman, A. and Sallis, J.F. (2004). Understanding environmental influences on walking: Review and research agenda. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 27,67-76. Read Paper
15. Badland, H.M., Schofield, G.M., & Schluter, P.J. (in press). Objectively measured commute distance: Associations with actual travel modes and perceptions to place of work or study in Auckland , New Zealand . Journal of Physical Activity and Health.
16. Badland, H. & Schofield, G. (2006). Perceptions of replacing car journeys with non-motorised travel: Exploring relationships in a cross-sectional adult population sample. Preventive Medicine, 43 (3), 222-225.
17. Badland, H. & Schofield, G. (2006). Test-retest reliability of a survey to measure transport-related physical activity in adults. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 77 (3), 398-402 .
18. Badland, H. M. & Schofield, G. (2006). Understanding the relationship between town size and physical activity levels: A population study. Health & Place, 12 (4), 538-546 .
19. Badland, H. M. & Schofield, G. (2005). The built environment and transport-related physical activity: What we do and do not know. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2 (4), 433-442.
20. Badland, H. M. & Schofield, G. (2005). Transport, urban design, and physical activity: An evidence based-update. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 1 0(3), 177-196.
21. Burgoine T, Lake AA, Stamp E, Alvanides S, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changing foodscapes 1980-2000, using the ASH30 Study. Appetite. 2009;53(2):157-65. Read Paper
22. Townshend T, Lake AA. Obesogenic urban form: Theory, policy and practice. Health & Place. 2009;15(4):909-16. Read Paper
Active Living Research Literature Citations
Leslie E, Coffee N, Frank L, Owen N, Bauman A, Hugo G. (2007). Walkability of local communities: using Geographical Information Systems to objectively assess relevant environmental attributes. Health and Place, 13(1):111-122. Read Paper
Owen N, Cerin E, Leslie E, Du Toit L, Coffee N, Frank L, Bauman A, Hugo G, Saelens BE, Sallis JF. (2007). Neighborhood walkability and the walking behavior of Australian adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 33(5), 387-395. Read Paper
Leslie E, Cerin E. (2008). Are perceptions of the local environment related to neighbourhood satisfaction and mental health in adults? Preventive Medicine, doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2008.01.014.
Cerin E, Leslie E, Du Toit L, Owen N, Frank L. (2007). Destinations that matter: associations with walking for transport. Health and Place, 13, 713-724. Read Paper
Compilation of publications from The Heart Foundation (2011). Read publications.
Titze, S., Stronegger, W., Janschitz, S. & Oja, P. (2007). Environmental, social, and personal correlates of cycling for transportation in a student population. Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 66-79 .
Van Dyck D, Deforche B, Cardon G, De Bourdeaudhuij I. (2009). Neighbourhood walkability and its particular importance for adults with a preference for passive transport. Health & Place, 15, 496-504.
Van Dyck D, Cardon G, Deforche B, Sallis JF, Owen N, De Bourdeaudhuij I. (2010) Neighborhood SES and walkability are related to physical activity behavior in Belgian adults. Preventive Medicine, 50, S74-S79.
Van Dyck D, Cerin E, Cardon G, Deforche B, Sallis JF, Owen N, De Bourdeaudhuij I. (2010). Physical activity as a mediator of the associations between neighborhood walkability and adiposity in Belgian adults. Health & Place, 16, 952-960.
Van Dyck D, Cardon G, Deforche B, Owen N, Sallis JF, De Bourdeaudhuij I. (2010). Neighborhood Walkability and Sedentary Time in Belgian Adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 39(1), 25-32.
Van Dyck D, Cardon G, Deforche B, De Bourdeaudhuij I. (2011). Do adults like livingin high-walkable neighborhoods? Associations of walkability parameters with neighborhood satisfaction and possible mediators. Health & Place, 17, 971-977.
Van Dyck D, Cardon G, Deforche B, Owen N, De Bourdeaudhuij I. (2011). Relationships between neighborhood walkability and adults' physical activity: How important is residential self-selection? Health & Place, 17, 1011-1014.
Reis Rodrigo. Brazilian version of NEWS (in Portuguese). Read Paper
Diaz del Castillo, A., Sarmiento, O., Reis, R., and Brownson, R. (2011). Translating evidence to policyL urban interventions and physical activity promotion in Bogota, Columbia and Curitiba, Brazil. Translational Behavioral Medicine 1(2), 350-360.
Hino, A.A.F., Reis, R., Sarmiento, O., Parra, D., and Brownson, R. (2011). The built environment and recreational physical activity among adults in Curitiba, Brazil. Preventive Medicine 52(6), 419-422.
Gomes et al.: Walking for leisure among adults from
three Brazilian cities and its association with perceived environment
attributes and personal factors. International Journal of Behavioral
Nutrition and Physical Activity 2011 8:111. Read Paper
Rech CR, Sarabia TT, Fermino RC, Hallal PC, Reis RS. Propriedades psicométricas de uma escala de
autoeficácia para a prática de atividade física em adultos da Cidade de Curitiba, Brasil. Rev Panam
Salud Publica. 2011:29(4):259–66. Read Paper
Rech CR, Fermino RC, Hallal PC, Reis RS. Validation and reliability of the
satisfaction scale for physical
activity in adults Rev Saúde Pública 2011;45(2) Read Paper
Rech CR, Reis RS, Hino AAF, Rodriguez-Añez CR, Fermino RF, Gonçalves PB, Hallal PC. Neighborhood safety and physical inactivity in adults from Curitiba, Brazil. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2012, 9:72 doi:10.1186/1479-5868-9-72. Read Paper
Reis RS, Hino AAF, Parra DC, Hallal PC, Brownson RC. Bicycling and Walking for Transportation in Three Brazilian Cities. Am J Prev Med 2013;44(2):e9–e17 Link
Hino AAF, Rech CR, Gonçalves PB, Hallal PC, Reis RS. Projeto ESPAÇOS de Curitiba, Brasil: aplicabilidade
de métodos mistos de pesquisa e informações georreferenciadas em estudos sobre atividade
física e ambiente construído. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2012;32(3):226–33. Read Paper
Kienteka M, Rech CR, Fermino RC, Reis RS. Validity and reliability of an instrument to
measure barriers to bike use in adults. Rev Bras Cineantropom Desempenho Hum 2012, 14(6):624-635. Read Paper
Fermino RC, Reis RS, Hallal PC, Cazuza de Farias Jr, J. Perceived environment and public open space use: a study with adults from Curitiba, Brazil. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2013, 10:35 Read Paper
3rd International Conference on Concept Lattices and their Applications (CLA2005). September 7-9, 2005. Olomouc, Czech Republic. ISBN 80-248-0863-3. This conference was realized thanks to Department of Computer Science,Palacky University, Olomouc and Department of Computer Science, VŠB -Technical University of Ostrava. Read Paper
Inoue, S., Ohya, Y., Odagiri, Y., Takamiya, T., Ishii, K., Kitabayashi, M., Suijo, K., Sallis, J.F., and Shimomitsu, T. (2010). Association between perceived neighborhood environment and walking among adults in 4 cities in Japan. Journal of Epidemiology, 20, 277-286. doi:10.2188/jea.JE20090120
Sanne I. de Vries a , Ingrid Bakker a , Marijke Hopman-Rock , Remy A. Hirasing a , Willem van Mechelen Selecting an appropriate motion sensor in children and adolescents. Read Paper
Stef PJ Kremers, Gert-Jan de Bruijn, Tommy LS Visscher, Willem van Mechelen, Nanne K de Vries and Johannes Brug Environmental influences on energy balance-related behaviors: A dual-process view International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2006, 3 :9 Read Paper
Badland, H.M., Schofield, G.M., Witten, K., Schluter, P.J., Mavoa, S., Kearns, R.A., et al. (2009). Understanding the Relationship between Activity and Neighbourhoods (URBAN) Study: research design and methodology. BMC Public Health, 9, 224. Read Paper
Jorge Mota, Nuno Delgado, Mariana Almeida, José Carlos Ribeiro, and Maria Paula Santos Physical Activity, Overweight, and Perceptions of Neighborhood Environments Among Portuguese Girls Journal of Physical Activity and Health , 2006, 3, 314-322. Read Paper
Jorge Mota, et al. Active versus passive transportation to school – differences in screen time, socio-economic position and perceived environmental characteristics in adolescent girls 2007.
Kruger, H.S., Venter, C., Vorster, H.H., Margetts, B., (2002). Physical Inactivity is the Major Determinant of Obesity in Black Women in the North West Province, South Africa: The THUSA Study. Nutrition, 18,422-427. Read Paper
Molina-Garcia, J., Castillo, I., and Sallis, J.F. (2010). Psychosocial and environmental correlates of active commuting for university students. Preventive Medicine 51, 136-138.
Sundquist K, Eriksson U, Kawakami N, Skog L, Ohlsson H, Arvidsson D. (2011). Neighborhood walkability, physical activity, and walking behavior: the Swedish Neighborhood and Physical Activity (SNAP) study. Social Science & Medicine, 72 (8), 1266.
Roger L Mackett and Belinda Brown (2011). Transport, Physical Activity and Health: Present knowledge and the way ahead. Scanning Study commissioned by the Department for Transport, London, Great Britain Read Report
Ester Cerin, Brian E. Saelens, James F. Sallis, and Lawrence D. Frank. Neighborhood Environment Walkability Scale:Validity and Development of a Short Form Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2006. Read Paper
John C. Spence, Nicoleta Cutumisu, Joy Edwards and Judy Evans. Influence of neighbourhood design and access to facilities on overweight among preschool children. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity 2008 Read Paper
Frank, L.D., Sallis, J.F., Saelens, B.E., Leary, L., Cain, K., Conway, T.L., and Hess, P.M. (2010). The development of a walkability index: Application to the Neighborhood Quality of Life Study. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 43, 124-131. Read Paper
Sallis, J.F. (2011) Environmental and Policy Research on
Physical Activity is Going Global. Res Exerc Epidemiol 2011; 13(2): 111-117. Read Paper
Cerin E (2010). Statistical Approaches to Testing the Relationships of the Built Environment with Resident-Level Physical Activity Behavior and Health Outcomes in Cross-Sectional Studies with Cluster Sampling. Journal of Planning Literature, upcoming
Bauman, A., Ainsworth, B.E., Bull, F., Craig, C.L., Hagstromer, M., Sallis, J.F., Pratt, M., and Sjostrom, M. (2009). Progress and pitfalls in the use of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire [IPAQ] for adult physical activity surveillance. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 5 (suppl. 1), S5-S8. (invited commentary)
**Please click here to send us your relevant publications**
Sallis, J.F., Kerr, J., Spence, J.C., Gidlow, C., and Inoue, S. (2010). Latest findings on built environments and physical activity in diverse countries: IPEN. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 7 (suppl. 3), S362-S364. (report of symposium at The Third International Congress on Physical Activity and Public Health. Toronto, Canada. May 5-8, 2010)
Cerin, E., Conway, T.L., Cain, K.L., Kerr, J., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., Owen, N., Reis, R.S., Sarmiento, O.L., Hinckson, E.A., Salvo, D., Christiansen, L.B., MacFarlane, D.J., Davey, R., Mitáš, J., Aguinaga-Ontoso, I. and Salli, J.F. (2013) BMC Public Health 2013, 13:309. Sharing good NEWS across the world: developing comparable scores across 12 countries for the neighborhood environment walkability scale (NEWS). Read Paper
Kerr, J., Sallis, J.F., Owen, N., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., Cerin, E., Sugiyama, T., Reis, R., Sarmiento, O., Frömel, K., Mitáš, J., Troelsen, J., Christiansen, L.B., Macfarlane, D., Salvo, D., Schofield, G., Badland, H., Guillen-Grima, F., Aguinaga-Ontoso, I., Davey, R., Bauman, A., Saelens, B., Riddoch, C., Ainsworth, B., Pratt, M., Schmidt,T., Frank, L., Adams, M, Conway, T., Cain, K, Van Dyck, D. and Bracy, N. (2013) Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2013, 10, 581-601. Advancing Science and Policy Through a Coordinated
International Study of Physical Activity and Built
Environments: IPEN Adult Methods.